Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Elmopalooza

I had to take away Kirk’s access to his movies. I had filled the two drawers of the upstairs entertainment consol with all our DVDs and VHS cartoons and kids shows. And every day he would unload them, looking for the Elmo tape. And he would carry around the cases and rip off pieces of them and just generally destroy all the video tape slip covers. Every single day. It was a constant mess and I was done with it. So now they’re hidden in the ottoman and his books are in the drawers.

I thought that he would freak out not having immediate access to the Elmo tape. But I guess he’s still young enough that outright deception and distraction still works. Now he just pulls out his Elmo Get Up and Go Songs book and grooves out to that.

I have no idea how we ended up with so many damn Elmo items. It’s not like we tried. The video, stuffed doll, mini-see-n-say, and bath-toy yellow submarine are from Grandma. The song book and sound effect toy are from our neighbors. The sheets are from Auntie. The Big Bird adventure book is from Nana. Really, I think the sippy cups are the only things we’ve actually bought—and that’s only because he honestly needed new ones!

But it’s really easy to end up buying merch without even noticing. We don’t own the movie Cars. Sure, we’ve seen it. K has it at daycare and my mom has it. So Kirk knows it and likes it. But he didn’t beg and plead for Cars pajamas, they just happened to be the only ones on sale and in his size. He didn’t demand Cars boots, they just happened to be the only boots in his size.

Star Wars merch, however, we purposely seek out. Too bad there aren’t any more movies.

6 comments:

SRH said...

Sure sure, blame your Elmo addiction on a everyone else and mainly on a little boy. For shame!

belsum said...

HA. You know you're jealous!

LA said...

Jeeze I hear ya on acquiring tons of Elmo gear. All hand me downs, but it's insane how much we have. Esther could take him or leave him. I swear the kids have to be thoroughly brainwashed before they learn to freak out for that kind of stuff. Peer pressure, maybe? I dunno. We are trying to indoctrinate Esther's world with Peewee Herman stuff, but it's too expensive. Good luck with the SW stuff.

belsum said...

Suddenly he's switched gears and is really into Ernie--and there hasn't been Ernie merch since the 70s!

Where have you found Peewee stuff?

LA said...

In 1993 there was an undiscovered used kids toy store in Iowa City that was a GOLD MINE. We picked up a lot of action figures there, but now it's all collectable, so it's eBay with the occasional thrift score. I long for, (I mean Esther longs for) the playhouse set. Droooool....

LA said...

Oh, and Ernie rules!