Wednesday, October 12, 2005

What an incredible smell you've discovered!

When Kirk was in the Level II nursery we had to use this foam hand cleanser before even setting foot in the place. It had a very particular, though not unpleasant, smell which I came to associate with my new baby. When we went to visit the nurses the other night, Mr. b started playing with the foam since it was right there. Smell really is so evocative. As soon as the scent hit my nose I was right back to that awful first week when we couldn't even take our son out of the nursery.

Currently I associate the smell of Dreft--and dried on spit up--with Kirk. I bought a box when I was washing all his clothes in preparation for his arrival. I'm still using the same box and don't plan to buy another one. If he was sensitive to regular laundry detergent we would have noticed by now. It's not like I wash my own stuff in Dreft. But I know that I'll still think of babies whenever I smell Dreft-washed clothing.

I had refrained from wearing perfume while I was on leave. I wanted Kirk to be able to learn the smell of his mommy, not Chanel No 5. I didn't know if he would be confused or repulsed or something when I started wearing it again but so far he doesn't seem to care at all.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi! Just wanted to say I love reading your blog. I look forward to catching up on the latest with baby Kirk and check it at least every other day. Keep writing!! Way back in March, I posted a comment about how similar our pregnancies were and it still holds true. Since then I gave birth to our little boy about 2 1/2 weeks early, on July 21st. It's been the craziest and best thing that's ever happened. So much of what you say is totally relevant to new moms (the ups and downs in the early weeks, breastfeeding, lack of sleep, the overwhelming love). Anyway, keep writing, there's a lot of fans who are reading! P.S. I know you aren't as into other people's kids as your own, again this holds true with everyone it seems, but if you want to check out little Henry, go to Fezbear.blogspot.com My husband started it, it's not quite as detailed with the writing, but hey, his hearts in the right place! Later!

belsum said...

Thanks for the heads up and the kind words! I'll definitely check out Fezbear. And congratulations on your little boy! I'm glad to hear everything is going well.