Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Veronica at Large

It’s been two weeks since Ronnie had her second birthday. Since it fell on a Monday this year, we had her party the Sunday before. She had a great time opening her presents.

Maisy DVDs!

Brother got her a stuffed Olivia, but she still wouldn’t put down the Puffle.

Olivia

The Easter hat was a hit, but the Jessie doll stole the show. Boy howdy does that girl love Toy Story 3.

Yeehaw!

We had cake and visited with friends and relatives and it was a lovely afternoon.

Miss Veronica seemed to get extra naughty following her birthday. I mean, even more naughty than she already was. And the crowning achievement of said naughty? Taking off her poopie diapers in her crib. Or in her nap bed at daycare. Basically, just wherever she happens to be. She still won’t poop in the potty more than the occasional shart when she’s already sitting there, but she refuses to stay in a soiled diaper for one second longer than she deems necessary. Which means that she’s getting crap everywhere. Rare are the days she comes home from daycare with the same outfit on. Or if she is, it’s because she already had that one washed, ruined the second one, and got switched back into the first one. We’re going through crib sheets like mad, too, changing them sometimes twice a day – after naps and after night – on the weekends.

But at least she has finally adjusted to daycare. Ronnie is happy to go now, willing to say goodbye to me without tears or clinging on. She even will occasionally be having too much fun to want to leave when I pick her up! But even if I do get her settled into the car without a fight, we then have to go to school to pick up Brother from Adventure Club. And that’s where the trouble usually takes place. Kirk is a master staller, always has been, and he loves Adventure Club and rarely is ready to leave when we get there. Which feeds back into his sister. So a typical evening now involves me forcibly hauling Ronronica to the car from the school, sometimes carrying her boots or coat that she ripped off in a fit of pique, and trying to get the two of them to not fight over the remains of Kirk’s bag lunch in the back seat. I’ve gotten into the habit of bringing snacks with to pass out for the drive home from school. Even with them eating something in the car, they are still famished when we get home. I have to fix them a second snack before I can even start on supper.

We had a brand new development last night. Something that Kirk never did. Ronnie climbed out of her crib. Twice! She was fighting going to bed and screamed so I went in there to hold her for a few seconds. I opened the door and saw her dangling by her fingertips over the side of the crib and then she let go and dropped the remaining few inches to the ground. My jaw dropped and I turned to Kirk, “Oh my god did you see that?!” Mr. b couldn’t believe it. But when we thought we had her calmed down and back in bed, we heard more clunking around sounds. Sure enough, she was out of the crib and making a beeline for the bedroom door. Apparently we’ll be buying a toddler bed this week.

4 comments:

Toni L.P. Kelner said...

My daughter Valerie had a Jessie doll at around that age, or even younger. (Back then, it was the TOY STORY 2 version.) Except she didn't call her Jessie--she called her "Yee-Haw," because that's the sound Jessie made. She had a constantly rotating set of critters to sleep with, but Yee-Haw was the favorite for an awfully long time. And even though Val is in 6th grade, we still have Yee-Haw.

Emily said...

I'm sorry. I typed up this long ass comment, and then of course, it gave me an error message. So I'm going to try to recreate it.

Anyways, I was about to say how cute Ronnie was, until you started talking about poop.

But even still, that's great about having any sort of potty training done. The last time I went through that, the girl, it seemed, would purposely hold it all in until after she was off the potty. I mean, she would sit there for whatever amount of time and nothing. And then, five minutes later - full diaper!

The second part was basically, you rock.
Seriously.
In early April, we have a teacher appreciation thing where my boss gives us presents, and parents write thank you notes and give us food. It's all really sweet, especially because yeah, my job is hard and it is rather thankless. So it is always nice to have someone come up and say Thank you, we really do appreciate you.

But that got me thinking, when do we say that to parents. I mean, we compliment their kids, and will be nice to them, and stuff, but I can't recall the last time I actually just said thank you, or anything similar.

So, you, Belsum, 100% completely and totally rock. You have wonderful kids (poop aside), and I've never met them. To go through what you go through daily, and still remain sane (at least relatively), is amazing. You go through a lot and you power through.
We teachers so often just view parents in the interactions we have with them, and we only take care of the babies for 8 hours a day. But you have this entire life outside of the center, and that thin sliver where caregivers and parents coexist. And it's filled with challenges and stress I can't even imagine.

So, thank you. Thank you for being a great parent, and dealing with all of this stuff that I know I am clearly not ready for. Thank you for sharing your experiences and making me realize it. Thank you for being a parent and everything that entails.
And just remember, that you are awesome, and you can do it, and it's okay to scream.

superbadfriend said...

I remember being an escape artist at Ronnie's age. My daycare used to have these cage cribs. That's where they kept me. In a cage. Guess the Mommy Patrol would have you arrested these days, so yeah, toddler bed is your only hope. ;) Happy Birthday, Ronnie! xoxo

belsum said...

BWAH Jess, I can totally picture wee you escaping! Love it.

You are so sweet, EmH. Giant hugs to help you heal and I promise to take you out next time I'm in Atlanta!

Ms. Kelner, I'm honored by your visit. And amused that your daughter called Jessie "Yee-Haw"! That's priceless. (Also, I really liked Pirate Dave's Haunted Amusement Park. A lot.)