Tuesday, June 08, 2010

Addendum 2a

We are collectively obsessed with these Lego video games. Memorial Day weekend we finished the Indiana Jones one. And by “finished” I don’t just mean 100% completion. No. Apparently the game stops calculating your points at the four billion mark. Good to know. So while we’re waiting for the Crystal Skull game to come down in price, we bought the discounted complete Star Wars. All six movies, together at last. And it’s awesome. Favorite level so far: Mos Espa Pod Race. Kicked Sebulba’s ass.

Kirk is starting to think of other things in terms of video games. It’s not just typical little kid playing outside stuff. Like when we’re on a walk and he’s pretending to be Indy and he jumps across a sidewalk crack and talks about the level that he’s playing. No. He’s been telling me about other video games that he’s going to play. Like the Annie video game where you get to play Sandy the dog to stop the naughty kids or the boss battle where Punjab fights Rooster. Or like the Great Mouse Detective video game where you get to pick up the gun that the bad guys drop and then you can carry it until you run out of bullets.

It’s fascinating watching both kids become so used to video games so quickly. I guess it’s like how easily we all played Atari games (or Commodore 64 or Texas Instruments or Apple II) and transitioned into Nintendo (or Sega or…) without batting an eye. Mr. b cut the cord off a useless old PS1 controller and now Bundle can “play”. She totally holds it facing the TV and tries to push buttons and make it do stuff. But she did that with remote controls, too, and I can remember Kirk doing the same thing with remotes. We have a baby LeapFrog that Kirk never played with that I want to hook up and see if Ronnie likes. She’s got more experience with this type of thing so I think it will make sense to her in a way her brother just never grasped at that age.

5 comments:

Emily said...

Ya know, this isn't related to this post at all, but it hit me today, how crazy it is that you've got kids. I mean, I know it, I've always known it. But its also like, I realized today, with Ronni, you've got like.... I've got a 14 month old running around, and... I don't know, this comment made more sense in my head, but it just kind of shocked me.
I'll shut up now.

belsum said...

Parenthood is filled with a series of these exact sort of revelations. Really? I've almost got a 5 year old? Really? My baby is starting to feed herself?

Emily said...

Totally unrelated but can I say THANK YOU for having a baby that is learning to feed herself. We've got a one year old that instead of reaching for the spoon will bend down and try to lick it out of the bowl. Another one who is 11 months and 20 days, who is still eating baby cereal for breakfast.

But those are my big kids who I won't get to see *sobs*

belsum said...

How you doing missing the big kids? Are the babies OK so far?

I'm surprised that none of those kids are at least doing finger foods. Seems like Ronnie has been forever. Spoons? Not so much. I mean, she's *interested* but mostly just to bang the spoon on her tray...

Emily said...

I am missing them, but I'm still getting to see them at the end of the workday, and sometimes in the middle when they are out walking around. I miss them like crazy, but trying to get through it!
Little babies aren't that bad yet, mostly it's still kind of mellow. And it's good in a way, but it's also like, as crazy as it was, I enjoyed the slight chaos os 12 babies. It made me exhausted, but I guess right now I still feel like there's something missing, like it's all gonna implode in a minute.

Anyways, the four oldest
1 - 14 mo - He's eating all solids now, drinking from a sippy cup. Has been pure normal food since April.
2 - 12 mo - She apparently won't touch adult food. Only finger food she'll eat is puffs. However, she also is not a fan of getting dirty or touching things. Seriously, her fingerpainting was one single fingerprint that we had to seriously encourage her. So I guess I can understand.
3 - 11 mo, 3 weeks - She has an older sister! No idea why she isn't on anything more solid. Mom's never said, and ignored our suggestions. Could be a reason, but yeah, we have no idea.
4 - 11 mo, 3 weeks - She's ready, but I think mom isn't. She'll dig into her baby food and eat it off her fingers. Mom still can't really face the idea that she's walking and growing up, so I'm betting that may be part of the issue.