Thursday, April 30, 2009

Yay Poop!

Tonight Bundle finally pooped. It had been six days. A couple of weeks ago she stopped going several times a day - or even every day. After three days she had a major blow out and things have been irregular ever since. This was the longest wait, however, and I had actually called the doctor earlier this week. We were advised to mix in one ounce of prune juice with three ounces of formula or milk, once a day. It totally looked like cappucino. Thankfully it only took two of them. If she hadn't pooped by today I would have had to call Doc back.

I have no idea what caused this though. I've heard the theory that the baby is growing and using up every last bit of caloric energy and therefore not having anything to excrete. That seemed reasonable to me when it was just once. My dad loves telling the story of me being constipated as an infant and "popping like a cork". But that doesn't really match Ronnie's issue. I think we're going to be doomed to repeat nqllisi's experience with her daughter: a month of repeated poo strikes and prune juice treatments. I'll ask Doc for his insight at her two month appointment next week. And...I guess we'll just have to see what tomorrow's diaper holds.

4 comments:

Anne C. said...

Bel, I love the content on your blog. It's so different from other blogs I read, and yet so REAL.
Yay poop!

belsum said...

I'm happy to oblige. :-)

Honestly, I just feel like there's so much bullshit about pregnancy and childrearing being perfect and shiney and magical and sure it can be but it's also NOT.

Anonymous said...

Poor lisette, she did have some issues for a while there. I hope she gets through it quickly!

belsum said...

So far it's looking like she's following lisette's example. *sigh*