Friday, August 03, 2007

Tragedy

How do you explain something like an historical tragedy to a two-year-old? Of course the TV was on news coverage of the bridge collapse from 20 minutes after it happened onward. Mr. b had to leave so it was just me and the boy. And I was too busy being stunned and answering phone calls whenever someone was able to get through and sending out emails letting people know we were all OK to pay much attention to him. I tried to take time out. We sat on the front steps and watched the rain come in. Kirk claimed he was scared of the "bunder" but I don't buy it. We sat in his bedroom and had a tickle war. But mostly, my mind was elsewhere, trying to process what had just happened. My only attempt to explain it was to tell Kirk that the bridge broke and now there was a big mess. I wonder how much of this he'll retain in memory as he gets older?

I worked from home yesterday and went over to Dinkytown to meet Mr. b for lunch. As I drove by, and saw the destruction with my own eyes for the first time, I gasped, clutched my chest, and fought back tears. It's real. We walked over before eating to look again and take a couple of pictures and just reminisce about all the times we spent in the area, in the neighborhood, under the bridges, along the riverbank.

Mr. b got interviewed by a Sioux Falls news station later that day. A print version is online, with a link to the video.

Standing on University Avenue bridge, looking south onto 35W destruction

Standing on University Avenue bridge, looking south onto 35W destruction

5 comments:

Anne C. said...

I'm so glad you and yours are safe, bel! HUGS!

SRH said...

That one is a rough one. I think you are going along the correct path of broken, now there is a BIG mess.

Glad you and yours are all safe.

superbadfriend said...

We are relieved you and everyone are well. :-)

Take it easy dear.

xo

Zany Mama said...

Glad to hear you guys are safe, but so sorry for everyone that it happened.

Take care of yourselves...

belsum said...

Thank you all so much. I truly appreciate it.