Thursday, January 18, 2007

Blooming Dogs

Rose in Bloom Louisa May Alcott
Crack. This book was crack. I wish there were more Rose books because I would totally read more. It almost makes me want to read other Alcott stuff—and I was never really that into Little Women! I’m glad that Louisa May has a sibling death fixation; Rose totally would’ve gone for the bad boy Prince Charlie instead of Mac who she was obviously meant for.


The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time Mark Haddon
Another ridiculously fast read. The narrator of the book is a 15 year old autistic boy; he is investigating the murder of his neighbor’s dog. It was amazing. I loved the way his world-view was described and the way he over-explained things like using prime numbers for the chapters. It was a compelling story, too! And one of the best, most satisfying, last lines I’ve read in a long time.


Since I read Jane Eyre I have encountered references to it twice. Mr. Rochester is apparently a Romantic archetype; he was mentioned in both the Chet Arthur Conspiracy and in Rose in Bloom.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is awful what I am about to do BUT... Since I can't find an email address for Ms. Diablo Cody and I know she is a friend of yours I am posting this here - I've read you since the Pussy Ranch, I bought your book, I think you are a funny as hell chick and now that you have the coolest woman ever in your new movie I may have to marry you - rock on for getting Jennifer Garner dude!

Sorry Belsum :)

Meghan (whynter@hotmail.com)

Anne C. said...

I liked Curious Incident too. Another great novel told from an autistic the point of view is The Speed of Dark (http://www.amazon.com/Speed-Dark-Elizabeth-Moon/dp/0345481399/ref=bxgy_cc_text_b/102-8615200-8277761) by Elizabeth Moon. She is a wonderful writer and her son is autistic.
I *highly* recommend it.

belsum said...

Ooh, thanks, Ana. I'll mention that at book club, too.