Monday, December 11, 2006

Keep Out

I’ve finally figured out why parents pretty much universally keep their bedroom's door shut at all times. And it’s not for the reasons I would have assumed. It’s not because of sex. It’s not because of...the Poltergeist parents’ activities. It’s to keep your stuff safe. As the rest of the house slowly becomes child-proofed, our bedroom becomes a repository for all the things that Kirk shouldn’t get into, like jewelry and guitar picks and library books and power supplies. Kirk has long enjoyed playing at the Mommy Fun Zone—the clock radio and cordless phone on my bedside table. But he recently discovered that my bedside table has a drawer. That he can open. And now my security key to remotely work from home is missing. Hooray.

2 comments:

Anne C. said...

I've been thinking about getting a lockable under-the-bed chest (pun not intended) for just such items.

belsum said...

"Pron"! Hee!

But it's true. Your own kids or friends or relatives, there's tons of stuff (and not just naughty stuff) that they really shouldn't ought to find.